FOx BIOSYSTEMS is a young Belgian company on a mission to revolutionize the life sciences and pharmacological research market with innovative real-time, label-free analysis products. The basis of our success is a novel fiber-optic-based surface plasmon resonance (FO-SPR) biosensor which enables our users to generate high-quality, cost-effective biomolecular data accurately, fast, and over a wide range of applications.
We have a strong and focused team in our offices in Diepenbeek, Belgium. We will be expanding rapidly over the next months and we’re looking for ambitious professionals to join our team.
We recruit based on core values, leadership attributes and proven expertise. The company believes in the equal importance of personality and the ability to deliver.
The goal of this project is to proof feasibility of CONSENSE technology towards continuous bioprocess monitoring and taking the next step by providing a proof-of-concept demonstrator at system level. Within the project a cell-based model system will be accessible with a dynamic behaviour. Realtime biological assays will be used to generate information on the biology of response dynamics. Your assignment will be as PhD researcher in the Consense project.
This position will be based in Diepenbeek, Belgium.
- We are looking for a motivated PhD candidate who wants to research and develop innovations in continuous biomolecular sensing with easy-to-use fiber optic biosensing solutions. Potential topics are implementing new optical referencing and biomolecular architectures, investigate optical interfaces, perform biosensing assays focusing on critical parameters for sensor performance, and measuring live and/or closed-loop bioreactors.
- In the project the PhD researcher biosensors at FOx Biosystems will study the potential of a DNA nanoswitch concept on the FO-SPR platform for continuous protein monitoring. The PhD researcher biosensors will:
- Test an internal reference on the optical fiber to compensate for internal (e.g. light source fluctuations) and external perturbations (e.g. temperature fluctuations).
- Build a demonstrator to integrate the sensor probe into the cell-based bioreactor product flow both for sample and optical interaction.
- Modify a nanoswitch concept for detecting proteins in a relevant model case.
- Generate the feasibility dataset on the entire biosensor system solution for its performance characteristics (stability, sensitivity, specificity, etc.) in a cell culture bioreactor production flow toward an ELISA benchmark.
Your eduction and work experience
- You have a Master’s degree and scientific background in e.g. chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering, bionanotechnology, or related disciplines.
- Optical and instrument experience is a plus. Furthermore a strong analytical and structured mindset with a can-do attitude are appreciated.
- You have an English proficiency level B2 or higher (CEFR). Good knowledge of Dutch or other languages are a plus.
- Hands-on in scientific experimentation, data analysis and in reviewing and reporting activities.
- Willing to take ownership and to independently manage multiple tasks.
- Flexibility and efficiency in planning and performing tasks.
- A challenging and multidisciplinary research job at a scale up company in collaboration with a renowned university (Biosensors group, KULEUVEN, www.biosensors.be).
- A PhD-student position for four years in a collaboration between FOx BIOSYSTEMS and KULEUVEN, starting date: flexible, but latest by first of September 2021.
- Attractive gross monthly salary in accordance with the ITN budget.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including excellent work facilities, free Nespresso coffee, a 13th month, meal vouchers in a green environment.
Information and application
More information can be obtained at https://foxbiosystems.com/collaborative-partners-and-projects-fox-biosystems/, https://www.consense-itn.eu/ or from Dr. Filip Delport, Info@FOxbiosystems.com.
Your application can be addressed to Dr. Filip Delport, Info@FOxbiosystems.com. Applications must include all of the following:
(i) a personal motivation letter,
(ii) a Curriculum Vitae (CV), including the names and contact details of at least two references,
(iii) lists of courses and grades of your BSc and MSc degrees, as originals and as transcripts,
(iv) your final BSc thesis and your final MSc thesis (if available).
Only complete applications will be considered. Screening of applicants will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled.